Whakatū Marae is situated in the leeward breezes of Taitapu Bay on the northern entrance into Whakatū, Nelson. Whakatū Marae location was developed from a disused site of the 1960's to a beautiful site that houses; a whare tupuna - Kākāti, a wharekai – Mauriora, six kaumātua whare, Kopuawai Te Kohanga Reo, a kokiri block - Rangikapua, housing hauora services and a fully equipped gym. The newest addition, Tūmatakōkiri, houses Whakatū Marae office and Whakatu Marae Whānau Ora Services. The land area is 10 hectares and is sited at 99 – 122, Atawhai Drive, Nelson.
The common ancestor claimed by the six iwi is Kākati and his two wives. Kākati is seven generations from Hoturoa, Captain of Tainui Waka and is the name of the whare tūpuna.
Whakatū Marae was constituted under the Incorporated Societies Act of 1908, and was registered 21 December 1977. In 1985 former district health buildings were brought to the site. Only a few years later in 1989 the kaumātua whare were opened, Kaakati was opened on the 1st April 1995 and Mauri Ora on the 22nd October 2005, both were formally opened by the late Dame Te Ātairangikaahu. In 2008 a fully equipped gym was established, followed by the establishment of a Waka Ama fleet later that year. The latest building to be established on site is Tūmatakōkiri, which houses Whakatū Marae office and Whānau Ora Services.